Home

Archives

Quests

Destinations

Discoveries

Recent Logs

Site Feed: RSS Subscribe to updates
Open Directory Project at dmoz.org


Free SEO Tools

Business Blogs - Blog Rankings

Friday, March 14, 2014

Komodo Dragon Warnings

Although the Komodo dragon's teeth are relatively small, you sure don't want to get bitten.

Their teeth may not do too much damage, but you will not survive the bite, because the saliva of this lizard is full of toxins which ensure a slow and painful death.

The poison inhibits blood clotting, lowers blood pressure and causes hypothermia and muscles to paralyze. It will lead to shock and unconsciousness. Death will follow suit.

It is said that patience is a virtue and the Komodo dragon possesses plenty of it. Once it gets a nibble in, it just follows the bitten animal for days until it collapses.

Sometimes, the Komodo dragon will go straight for the kill by trying to get a good grip on the underside of the throat of its prey. This usually occurs with smaller animals such as birds, monkeys, or deer.

Since their metabolism is very slow, the Komodo dragon can suffice with eating only 12 times a year. It will wolf down up to 80% of its entire body weight when it eats though and once their meal is served, nothing goes to waste.

Hooves, horns, hair, you name it, it is all swallowed. What can not be digested is being regurgitated later on; so much for table manners, huh?!

==============================

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2009 - 2014